Family Mealtime Tips
Download our Daily Tip Family Calendar
Strategies for Creating Family Meal Time
Family Dinner Time Conversation Cards
Eating together as a family is one of the most important activities a family can do.
Family meals offers children a great opportunity to learn about healthy foods, balanced meals, table manners and offers wonderful family bonding time.
Here is a list of our tips that
promote the benefits of family meals
provide ideas for making family mealtime a routine
offer actions to enhance family meals
List of Tips For Promoting Family Meals
- Set a regular time for family meals
- Turn the TV off during mealtimes.
- Make mealtime a happy time! Let your child tell about his or her day.
- Kids learn about foods during meal time.
- Eat together as a family for at least one meal a day. Change it up and try a picnic for dinner.
- During dinner, talk about fruits and vegetables and find out what is the family favorite.
- Set reasonable limits for the start and end of a meal time.
- Actually, turn off the TV at mealtime so you can talk and share the events of the day.
- Eating together at the table as a family is the one of the most important activity you can do for your kids.
- Try to keep family meals fun. Include children in the meal preparation and in the decision about what foods will be offered for dinner. Children feel important if they contribute to family meals.
- Eat at the table since it is easier to talk with each other, rather than in front of the TV
- Remember that it is never too late to start a routine family dinner. Just find an appropriate time that works best for your family.
- After-school activities have to be chosen carefully in order to protect the dinner routine for most days of the week. Make shared family meals a priority.
- Be a good role model by having proper table manners.
- Set specific mealtimes by writing them on the calendar and let everyone in the family knows when dinner is served and when they must be home.